Saturday, 11 February 2017

Rocking the red in less than thirty minutes ....

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend is going well. I’ve been playing in my journal and here is the end result …

An A5 journal page
All the yummy details
You can see where I used the brayer to add the gesso & the brush strokes
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
A Vintage Journey Challenge Words That Are Special
Country View Crafts Challenge 30 minute challenge, see below
Everybody Art Challenge #396 Valentine or Girly
Frilly & Funkie Challenge Be My Valentine
Stamps & Stencils Challenge Texture, Crackle & Paint


Once again because I figured out what I wanted to do before I started I got everything ready to go. I applied a very light coat of white gesso to my page and dried it. I used a small piece of foam to apply a very light coat of red acrylic, it turns out that adding very light coats of gesso or paint means that it dries quicker – something for me to remember. I applied Distress paint to my craft mat and sprayed it with water and then dipped the die cut hearts into it and I dried them very quickly, I decided that I wanted one of my five hearts to be richer in colour so I used my Distress Stain to darken in and dried the darker heart. I attached the hearts to my page using matt medium and then played with my new little tub of Distress Collage Medium, onto the hearts and onto the edges of my page. I dried them and then wrote onto the hearts and the final step was to add Distress Rock Candy paint to the edges of my page, I love that Rock Candy!!

Luckily it took just under 30 minutes to create but it took a bit longer to thoroughly dry. And once again my desk looked like a complete tip after, this speed crafting is messy! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp:
Leonie Pujol Designs ‘Loved’ stamp from Crafters Companion Inspiration Magazine Issue #13
Stencil:
Stampin’ Up 8” Heart stencil
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Hearts Die from Crafters Companion Inspiration Magazine Issue
Miscellaneous Tools:
Heat tool; craft mat; spray water bottle; foam; paintbrushes

Supplies
Card Paper:
Snippets Sheena Douglass white stamping card already die cut
Pink Pig A5 Portrait Watercolour Journal
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint: Rock Candy
Tim Holtz Distress Paint & Stain: Fired Brick
Tim Holtz Distress Mica Spray: Tarnished Brass
Archival IP: Jet Black
Faber Castell Medium Black Pitt Pen
Adhesives/Mediums:
The Works: white gesso
Distress Collage Medium: Vintage
Pebeo Matt Medium:

11 comments:

Hazel Agnew said...

Hi Karen, welcome back. Something satisfying about getting it all down instinctively without fiddling about. 30 mins works for this great piece. Thanks for joining us again at Country View Crafts.

Brenda said...

Love how your journal page came out Karen! The hearts are so pretty and the sentiment is so true! Hugs, Brenda

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Sweet little art journal pages, with all your layers of red!! Very pretty, Karen. I'm a little like you, everything I do these days is launched from some song lyric. La ti da, makes creating fun. ;p

Candy C said...

Hey Karen! You are busy girl! I loved your first art piece you shared with us and I love this one, too. Love the Beatles and I loved this song. I'm glad to see you worked it into an art journal page that is so appropriate for this time of year! Amazing that you did this in just under 30 minutes! Thanks again for sharing with all of us at Creative Carte Blanche.

Rein said...

Lovely page Karen!

Cec said...

What a fun journal page that definitely screams Valentine. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

Susan said...

Love your wonderful page, Karen! Would you believe I almost used that same Beatles song line! It's perfect, isn't it? Love your colors too! Thanks for joining us at Creative Carte Blanche!

Zoe Hillman said...

Another wonderful piece Karen, your journal page is super. Unfortunately we won't be able to enter you into the prize draw again as the challenge was for a card, but thank you for joining us for the "Be My Valentine" over at Frilly & Funkie.

Deb Riddell ~ Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Wonderful journal page and definitely inspiring words, thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Words That Are Special challenge! Deb xo

Team Clark said...

I have always wanted that heart stencil, beautiful layering with it! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. Hugs, Autumn

Vintagehandmade said...

Beautiful Valentine creation! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils! Branka DT