Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Have a Heart (photo heavy post) ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. As I mentioned in a post about a month ago my intention for 2017 is to make more mixed media, practice my drawing and painting skills and not create so many card, lol, so far I have stuck to my pledge, I know it’s only the second month in but I didn’t even manage that last year, anyways here is a home décor project I have been working on …

   
I will try to remember to measure this!
I'm never sure what style to call this, but I think it's distressed?
This saying is true, I see beauty everywhere in the countryside and in nature
  
A final look at the first side

I want to enter this into the Indigo Blu Stamps Challenge Love is All You Need

And here is the B side ...

  
Lots of lovely texture and bold colours
Lots of yummy details and colour
A close up of the stencilling and where the texture paste failed
Butterflies, flowers and a perfect sentiment
 
A final look at the B side

I want to enter this side into the following challenges
And I want to enter the complete heart into these challenges
Allsorts Challenge #403 Anything Goes
A Vintage Journey Challenge Words That Are Special
Creative Artiste Challenge #23 Anything Mixed Media Goes
Frilly & Funkie Challenge Out of the Cold
Mixed Media World Challenge MMW#22 Mixed Media Anything Goes
Scrapy Land Challenge #60 Add Texture: 
I used Crafters Companion & Spellbinder dies 


I recently found a bag with, I think, three of these large chipboard hearts in it. I was somewhat surprised because I thought I had used them all up because I have owned these for a very, very long time! So what with Valentines and February being the month of love I thought I would start out altering one of them and see how it went and I had so much fun!!! I’ll try to keep my waffling about it as succinct as possible but I do want to document the steps I took so feel free to skip this. I’m still not yet confident about working straight onto chipboard, no idea why, but I’m not.

Side A:
I grabbed an A5 piece of Sheena card which had a thin layer of gesso on then my one and only Indigo Blu stencil and my only one set of Tim Holtz Distress Crayons. I repeat stencilled over the A5 card until it was covered. This is my first proper play with the Distress crayons and I have found that they blend beautifully over card that has a light layer of gesso on it.
I’ve not tried it direct to card or paper yet – that’s on the to do list. They are very rich and a little goes a long way, but there is a technique to applying them and I got softer blends and used less crayon on the B side. Much more play is required!
As I was still experimenting I sprayed the A5 panel with water to see what that would do and I loved the look. I heat set it.

Side B:
I had a rejected piece of Sheena stamping card that had already been coloured. I had added texture paste but not well so it sunk underneath the stencil. I decided to use that as most of that would be covered and what wasn’t covered would also give more texture to the heart. I attached my Stamplorations stencil and used the crayons to create a field of flowers, adding more colour as I worked up the heart. I also made sure the flowers had stems too.

Side A&B
I used an Indigo Blu stamp set for the sentiments and the butterflies for both sides. I stamped the Indigo Blu sentiment twice with Versafine black IP and then die cut two circles to add to my heart. I inked up the butterfly stamp with Spectrum Aqua pen and stamped them three times, I then lightly sprayed them with water to make them a little less harsh looking, hope that makes sense. I fussy cut them out and then added a layer or Rock Candy Distress crackle paint.

I wanted to use WOC flowers on both sides and I decided to change the colour of those (I purchase white or ivory and change them to suit my project). I decided at this point that I also wanted to have more hearts hanging off the large chipboard heart so I die cut four hearts. I coloured the hearts with my Spectrum Aqua pens and added a bit more depth to the edges with the crayons. I stamped the sentiment with black Versafine ink pad and die cut it then I did the same colouring technique as I had done on the hearts. I also die cut a butterfly with the last of my Sheena card snippets (they have their own snippets box lol!)

I played around with the layout and decorations and I actually ended up removing some of them before I glued it all together. The thing that was the most fiddly/painful was getting that ric rac ribbon to stay flat so I could add a hanger to the top and have the hearts hanging off too! I am, unusually, happy with the end result – hope you all like it too. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp:
Indigo Blu: Nature 1 stamp set
Stencil:
Indigo Blu: Floral Fantasy stencil
Stamplorations Stamps: Artplorations Bloom Silhouettes stencil
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Crafters Companion Sara Signature Range Butterfly Lullaby Flit & Flutter
Crafters Companion Inspiration magazine Issue 9 Heart dies
Spellbinders dies: Standard Circle Large set
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette

Supplies
Card/Paper/Substrate:
Craftwork Cards Chipboard heart
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
Snippets: Sheena Douglass white stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Tim Holtz: Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint; Set 1 Distress Crayons
Spectrum Aqua pens: Primary
Versafine IP: black
Embellishments:
WOC: 10mm roses; Chrysanthemum
Ric rac and heart from my stash
Adhesives/Mediums:
Maimeri texture paste; Collall all purpose glue; double sided tape; fun foam

13 comments:

brenda said...

Well what can I say Keren, Butterflies, pink, lots of dimension, love it all and ticks all the right boxes for me, many thanks for sharing another of your lovely creations with us at Allsorts challenge.

B x

Dr Sonia S V said...

Superb Mixed Media Karen. Hehe one of my resolutions for the year is to make more cards and send them!!

Lisa said...

Wow, Karen, this is amazing!! Both sides are stunning!! I love the backgrounds and the texture and the flowers and butterflies...everything is so gorgeous!! What a creative and beautiful project this is!! So fabulous!! Thanks so much for playing along at Scrapy Land!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

susiestacey said...

Beautiful project, gorgeous details. and so pretty.
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'Anything Goes' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

Tracy said...

Fab creation, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Tracy said...

Fab creation, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Nancy Dynes said...

I love your mixed media wall hanging, Karen! Those bright butterflies are so eye catching and a happy reminder that sunshine and flowers are already making their appearance! Thanks so much for joining us at The Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
Hugs,
Nancy

Sue Ralph said...

Beautiful Karen, what a start getting into mixed media. Thank you for joining in with the IndigoBlu Blog Challenge. Good Luck, Sue xx

Wheelie Crafty said...

Absolutely awesome creation, I love the quotes and textures... Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

rachel said...

beautiful work Karen - thanks so much for joining us at Indigo blu and good luck! Hugs rachel x

Tanja said...

love your home decor piece - thanks for sharing your project at the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

So much inky goodness here! I love the pop that the pink butterflies provide! Thanks so much for joining the fun at the Frilly and Funkie "Out of the Cold" challenge!

butterfly said...

What a wonderful heart full of colour and movement. Thanks for all the close-ups to show off the fabulous details. Thank you for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison x