Thursday, 23 February 2017

Another journal page ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. For some reason I felt a strong need and compulsion to play in my MM Journal again with lovely rich red and pinks with splashes of white and green here and there before the month run out lol! Here is the end result …

An A5 page
All the yummy details
I put matt medium over the top of the panel and that streaked the pink a bit!
It's my mantra for this year
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
A Vintage Journey Challenge Words That Are Special 
I need to remember that I am creative, I can be strong and then I will be happy
Die Cut Divas Challenge Use Pink or Red

Emerald Creek Dares Challenge Rock the Red part two
Mixed Media World Challenge MMW#22 Mixed Media Anything Goes
I a used Simon Says Stamp stencil and a set of Simon Says Stamp stamps
Stamps & Stencils Challenge Texture, Crackle & Paint


I decided to do an experiment of free journaling, no plan up front, I wanted to be relaxed and see what would happen. Using pink and red together is a lot alien to me and out of my comfort zone. I applied a layer of gesso with my brayer and dried it with my heat tool. I’ve found that applying the gesso with a brayer gives me a light layer of gesso and that dries really quickly and doesn’t bubble multiple win wins!

I applied Maimeri texture gel through a Tando Creative stencil and I used my heat gun because I wanted lovely big bubbles. I applied a layer of Worn Lipstick Distress paint over the page sprayed and dried with my heat tool. I dabbed Fired Brick Distress paint on the edges, sprayed then dried. I attached the same stencil and applied fired brick Distress paint randomly on the RHS of the page, sprayed and dried. I then applied the stencil again and added Distress Rock Candy Crackle paint and left that to dry. I used some Leonie Pujol stamps and Memento IP to add detail to the LHS of the page. I had a piece of watercolour card left over from playing with the Simon Says Stamp stencil on watercolour paper so I tore the edges and attached it to the RHS using matt medium. I used the Simon Says Stamp stamp set on a die cut heart and attached it. It needed something more so I die cut a hummingbird and coloured with Pebeo Dyna iridescent paints.

I am not 100% happy with my journal page. The bonus is that I learnt several things: red and pink isn’t a combination I like; I should have used a larger heart instead of the hummingbird and for me less is more when I am journaling, lol! I allowed myself to journal and not think about it just to go with the flow and I think I will do that again but I’ll tweak this experiment and think a little about the theme and colours before I start and then walk away from it before I add any more so that the journal page is more coherent in the end. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x








Tools
Stamp:
Simon Says Stamp: Be sentiment set
Leonie Pujol stamps from Crafters Companion Inspiration Magazine Issue 13
Stencil:
Simon Says Stamp: Bouquet of Flowers
Tando Creative: Sequin waste stencil
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Heart die from Crafters Companion Inspiration Magazine Issue 9
Create & Craft Couture: The Songbird Collection
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; heat tool; spray bottle with water; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette

Supplies
Card Paper:
Pink Pig Journal
Snippets: watercolour card; Sheena Douglass stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Tim Holtz Distress paints: Worn Lipstick; Fired Brick
Tim Holtz Crackle paint: Rock Candy
Pebeo Dyna Iridescent: Blue Green; Green Blue; Violet Blue; Orange Yellow
Memento Dew Drop ink pad: Rosebud
Derwent Inktense Watercolour pencils
Adhesives/Mediums:
The Works: white gesso
Maimeri Modelling Paste
Maimeri Matt Medium


4 comments:

Sara Barker said...

Karen, it is always such a pleasure to visit your blog! I love your journal page, especially that texture! Love that you hit it with the heat tool to get the bubble effect! Thank you for sharing your free journaling with us at Emerald Creek Dares--I love that you allowed yourself to play without a plan! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

Nancy Boyd said...

Wow! Great job, this turned out beautiful!!! Thanks for joining us at Die Cuttin Diva's this week!!!

Maria Lillepruun said...

Very nice and creative! Thank you for playing along with Mixed Media World!

Deb Riddell ~ Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Beautiful colour palette and love the sentiment you chose for your journal page, thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey! Deb xo